Saturday, August 21, 2010

Relationship advice for a teenager!?

I'm a teenager (17) and I get confused with my relationships. I've only had two serious relationships, one of which I'm in right now. Sometimes I just hate being in a relationship because of the hardships (fights, jealously, and feeling vulnerable). I also worry too much sometimes, and just feel like giving up.





What is the most important advice you can give me about relationships?





How can I have a successful high school relationship?





Sometimes I just worry too much, how can I worry less?





What advice can you give me about feeling vulnerable?





I get jealous at times, what鈥檚 a healthy way to deal with it?





How much space should we have?





Feel free to add any advice you think will help me.





Thanks.





Girls? Another problem: With my first serious relationship I waited a while to have sex, and lost my virginity to my first serious boyfriend. Now I鈥檓 with my second/current boyfriend and we had sex before we were official and now I don鈥檛 feel that intimate feeling that I did with my fist. We鈥檝e only been going out for two months.





How can we make sex more intimate, will time help?Relationship advice for a teenager!?
What is the most important advice you can give me about relationships?


My best advice is to not be afraid to let a good thing happen. You are young so take your time and enjoy yourself. Date around a little to find out what you like and don't like, both in a partner and in a relationship.





How can I have a successful high school relationship?


I don't think there is such a thing. Savor your time in high school, it's a blast and you will miss it when you are out. Realize that you are allowed to be immature and silly, and have fun with your guy. Don't take things seriously, because I guarantee you will have plenty of other relaitonships in the future.





Sometimes I just worry too much, how can I worry less?


It depends what you worry about. I'm a worrier too, and the way I get around it is to calm down with some slow breathing and ask myself, ';Does it really matter?';. Visualizing helps too. Take a few minutes each day when you are comfortable and can be alone and quiet. Sit down and close your eyes and think of yourself as being in control of your feelings and your thoughts. I do this a few times in the day when I have a minute or two to spare, to just focus and take the time to relax.





What advice can you give me about feeling vulnerable?


Why do you feel vunerable? That's the key part of that puzzle. If it's because you are afraid of being hurt, that's a difference from a general insecurity. Once you have it tackled and know why you feel vulnerable, think again about how you are really going to get hurt. Your mind is a powerful thing, and it's easy to trick ourselves into being scared or hurt by things that really aren't a bother. Step outside of your own thoughts for a moment and think if it really is something to get worked up over. Look up to a role model as well. Some people say 'What Would Jesus Do?'. Personally, I ask 'What Would Fedor Do?'.





I get jealous at times, what鈥檚 a healthy way to deal with it?


That's a problem I suffer from very much. Being jealous is a sign of a lack of self confidence. At your age this is going to come and go. I'm a confident personn but I still get jealous, mostly because I've been hurt a lot by friends and girlfriends for being trusting. The best thing you can do is to talk to the person, let them know you get jealous, and figure out something that works for the both of you. When my ex and I were still dating, I got mad at her for going out with guys so often. We talked about it, and decided that she would have a few nights in the week with her friends, and I was allowed to go whenevre I wanted to keep an eye on things. I was also allowed to call her whenever I wanted, and she obligated to pick up. It sounds silly, but we had a rough history :)





How much space should we have?


As much as is comfortable for the both of you. I have a strange tendency to crave my alone time where there is nobody around me, but on the other end need to have my girlfriend there even when I go to the kitchen. I also had the problem of needing my alone time and not allowing my ex to hang out with other people. Again, rough history with that one. Since then, I've learned that having friends and quiet time is just as important as the relationship itself because that's how you vent, just like you vent about your friends to your boyfriend. Again, communication is your best friend in this; ask your boyfriend what is rgiht for him, and share what is right for you.








Basically, relax. Life's a garden, dig it!





And as for your sex question, though I'm not a girl, I can say that intimacy isn't always there for sex. It's a natural craving, just like wanting to eat. Sometimes you need to satisfy it, other times you can really savor it.

No comments:

Post a Comment