Sunday, July 25, 2010

Relationship advice please?

My boyfriend and i have dated for 2 years. In february he went through a short depression that he regrets now. I thought he didn't love me and he thought the same but we discussed everything on our minds. We went on a break for 2 days and were back together and happy as could be. But i am always worried about whether it will happen again. I am very much in love with my boyfriend and vice versa. We are young adults, BOTH 24, and i am constantly finding myself scared of loosing him. I have dated many people before him but this is my first time being in love. Is there any way i can STOP myself from feeling this constant anxiety and hopefully STOP being sad and crying about it. I know it bothers my boyfriend that i cry a lot but it's hard to stop. I am currently seeing a counselor but it doesn't seem to help and only makes things worse for me. Any suggestions or techniques would greatly help me. PS. Do you have an recommendations on ways of showing my boyfriend i love him ie, dinner...etcRelationship advice please?
You are only 24, have met each other when you were 22, and you say you have dated many people before him. That fact, your age and your obvious insecurity tells me you haven't found out yet who you are in yourself/on your own, and what you want out of life.


A break of 2 days is not a break. A break needs to be much longer and you need not to see each other, at least as little as possible. If one of you moved to another city for a while, that would give you an indication of how you really feel about each other. You both need to lead your own single lives for a while. Do you ever go out with girlfriends? Go away with girlfriends for a weekend? Does he ever go fishing or skiing or whatever for a day with his friends? Or do you do everything together?


If your are constantly sad and crying, then STOP the relationship! That's not how it is meant to be, certainly not if you say you're happy as could be. Happy as could be means you're relaxed, have fun, laugh a lot, leave each other space, be your own person. If your relationship is constantly on your mind, forget it! I think, judging by what you write, that you are too young, too immature, and you both need to become independent before you can commit to one person. If you like/love each other, take a long time out, keeping in touch without talking relationship stuff, and most of all: don't listen to what anyone is saying. Follow your heart, but a relationship should make you happy and smiling, not sad and crying. It certainly shouldn't create the need to see a counselor!


I'm a 53-year old Mom and I've seen a lot of young people's relationships, including my own really bad one when I was your age.Relationship advice please?
First of all, I take my hat off to your situation. I know exactly what it feels like to be in love with a man whose emotions fluctuate at different levels. My ex lost his mother, and I paid the price for that depression. But I loved him deeply, and felt the same anxiety as you, I felt that I was losing him, and I also felt always at fault. No matter how many times we talked about, the crying was endless and I also spoke to a pyschologist so that I could sort through my feelings.


You need to just let it be, let it flow. If it ends up back to where you guys were and he goes through another depression, just remember its not your fault. And you are trying your everything to be with this person. If you show signs of doubt and weakness it will reflect upon your boyrfriend as well. Men expect us to be iron walls, but behind closed doors we are allowed a good cry. So maybe just set up a goal for yourself, be optimistic and remind yourself you will be okay if things go well or wrong. Maybe take your boyfriend out to special things only you two know is special, a concert, surprise dinner...just keep it fun and sexy and remember to be strong!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment