Sunday, July 25, 2010

Relationship advice please?

I'm a naturally quiet person and I'm pretty shy before I get to know people. Recently, I moved in with my boyfriend and he has expressed to me that he would like for me to open up more to his family, his mother specifically.





My problem is that I want her to like me so much that I'm scared to really have a conversation with her for fear that I might say something she'll think is dumb, etc. Plus, I have heard several stories about how his ex-girlfriend used to talk to his mother all the time about everything and that definitely puts me on edge because I am constantly feeling like I am compared to her. I blame him for that because in the beginning of our relationship and occasionally now he would mention a lot of things about her. Things I didn't care to hear or know.





Now, I feel like I have to be better than her or something.





I just need advice on how I can open up to his mom and just talk to her about anything. I'd love to express to her how much I love her son and how serious I am about starting a future with him.Relationship advice please?
You are right. You are going to be compared to this other girl. Important thing to look at though, you are not dating his mom, you are dating him. I would like to say it doesn't matter what she thinks about you to make you feel better but thats a lie...I'm sure it matters somewhat to him but i doubt that you could make yourself look bad enough where she would try to break you guys up. I understand you want to have a good relationship with his mom like anybody would, best advice i can give you is to be yourself, and make sure what you say doesn't sound ditty.





sorry if that was kinda blunt...good luck, hope it goes wellRelationship advice please?
You don't need to be better than her because YOU ARE BETTER THAN HER!! And that's why is the ';ex'; and your are the ';present';. And when you go to meet his mother just be yourself... I'm sure she will appreciate your originality... You don't need to put extra efforts in showing his mother how much you like him because it is quite obvious and easy to make out that you are absolutely in love with him... I'm sure she will know that as soon as she sees you...


Good luck
Express yourself!!..You are who you are and they should love you for that...If they dont, which I dont think would happen..Then thats their loss and your their sons girlfriend so theyre going to have to get used to you sometime or another...Your probably blowing this out of porportion..the last girl obviously didnt work out with your bf and his parent were nice/liked her so I wouldnt worry about what they think..





GOOD LUCK!!


..Hope I helped:D
well sweetie, they say that you just need to be yourself, and seriously, you do... i mean, you say your quiet right? but is there someone besides your boyfriend who you can talk to pretty good? i mean, how long did it take you before you got to open up to them? im just saying, sure, you need to talk to his mom and start conversation but let it go little by little, dont try to make an impression right away cuz it just shows your trying... seriously, just go with the flow of conversation and if something clicks, it will click but don't give it toooo much thought and you will be ok =)
All I can tell you from experience is just be who you are. Your boyfriend or even his mom can't expect anything more. Boyfriend's moms can be intimidating. But if she is easy to talk to that is a plus. You don't need to talk about how you feel about your boyfriend right away. As time goes on opening up more will come easier if your boyfriend and mom doesn't expect you to be like an open book all at once. They need to make you feel comfortable. Hopefully he's not a momma's boy and doesn't expect the relationship to be based on whether mom likes you or not. If your a good person and respect yourself and them they should like you anyway.
Just be yourself. Either she likes you, or she doesn't! However, I can understand your apprehension.





Remember there are just some people who don't like other people, because of their own personal issues, which has nothing to do with the other person. So, as long as you know you are a good person, what she thinks really doesn't matter.





It's my opinion that If she is a caring, fair minded person she will realize that you are uncomfortable at first and be understanding and give you fair shake. If not, life goes on, then it's on her.
hey hehe i had the same problem. well to start things off with his mother i think you should talk about how u tow met and how you both fell in love. well if that goes smoothly then i suggest you talk about ur career goals if u have anything and where do you see yourselves in the next idk like 5-10 years....then maybe other topics can be about like wat does she do for a living? when did she meet her husband if she has one. try to befriend her dont look at her like an stranger i know its hard cuz i to am a shy person but if you try and have courage and hold you heart and head high then you will be able to get through it and the whole ex thing dont even let it bother you i mean look hes with you now yeah some guys do tend to compare i dont know why but hey there guys wat can you do about them u know. dont pay any mind to it if u love him dont let it bother you and just go all out i kno u can do it!! i believe you kk trust me when u pass this its easy as pie
Oh I know exactly how you feel! My boyfriends mother (over dinner once) was discussing how her husband was married before her. I wanted to ask her so many questions, like where she met her husband, and if she knew the other girl, but I was way too afraid. I thought I might accidentally ask a private question or the wrong question, so I just kept my mouth shut. Now as a result it made me look too quiet and not interested, but I really was interested!! It was frustrating.





The best thing to do is try not to worry about your conversations with her. Just keep them clean (no discussing sex with her son lol), and you should be fine. Ask questions that you would ask a new friend.





Express how you feel for her son privately, perhaps over dinner at a restaurant. That will definitely bring you two closer.
Talk to your boyfriend about his mother's interests and try to find something you have in common. One of the best ways to make a good impression on some one is to have them think that you like the same things as them. Then they're saying in their mind that you must be an alright kind of person. Find a fun activity that the two of you are both into and set up a date to do that activity and just hang out and get to know each other. If casual conversation fails or falters, then you can always discuss the activity as a backup plan. Even if you come off a little badly to her, its hard to hate some one that is similar to yourself. As long as you're making that solid effort to try and connect with her, she should understand how sincere you are think kindly of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment