Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Relationship advice for a girl with an intimidating personality?

So, I'm a jack-of-all-trades, rise to the top, super intense type person. One of THOSE types. I finally asked a few people about their perception of me, and they said that I'm always super nice, etc, but they said that I'm extremely intimidating.





I'm very much the silent type. I don't say much, but I always make sure things are done, then I step aside.





My resume sort of makes me sound like a guy, I'm into computers (legit) and I've won 5 national championships in design, I'm a serious juggler (as in clubs, balls, diabolos, circus stuff, haha) I'm a freshman in university, and I'm the president of a club, and an officer in two more, and I'm one of the only freshmen captains in our dance marrathon. (we have 300 captains, who then have 3,000 committee members who answer to them, with over 20,000 people involved) I also got into a program that only accepts 25 students.





So great. I have a rockin' resume. woopdie freakin do. I don't party. I don't drink. I don't make stupid decisions. and I don't have a relationship. And THATs where I need HELP!





HELP! I'm lonely, and just want somone! I have one friend who I've liked for a year or so now, but he's 25, and I'm 18, and I don't think he's comfortable with the age difference.





There are a couple of other guy friends that I really like, but, alas, they're older. I have the propensity to place myself with older individuals. Based on my home life, I had to grow up a little faster than most.





Help. please help.Relationship advice for a girl with an intimidating personality?
I understand that you're feeling lonely, believe me I know that feeling. But you've got a good thing going. I'm sure you've heard that before, but read over what you wrote again and think about how much you've done/do that other people haven't.





You're obviously setting yourself up for a bright future and you should think about the type of person you want to share that future with. I've seen so many girls with great track records and great potential get involved with guys who ruined them emotionally and ruined their future.





I'm guessing the thought has crossed your mind by now that maybe it's pointless to wait for the right guy and you should settle for whatever you can get. And believe me, I know how tempting that is. But it's one of the worst mistakes you can possibly make.





Obviously you don't want to spend your great future alone. I'm sure you'd find that an empty future, despite your achievements. And it's completely normal to feel lonely even when you have all those things.





Unfortunately there's no easy way to find a relationship. Like I said, I completely sympathize with your loneliness, but just like other areas in your life, you need to be smart about how you approach the problem. First of all, you do have an impressive list of talents and I bet that's intimidating to a lot of guys. People probably see you as intense and driven.





I think you should try and let your hair down some. You have more than enough to be confident about so instead of viewing it as something that makes it harder for you to find a relationship, view it as something that will make it easier. You're obviously very talented and intelligent in more ways than one. You're a girl worth chasing after, and you will be chased after if you give guys the signs that you want them to.





Try striking up casual conversations with guys in your dance class, or other events that you participate in. Don't think about it as trying to get them to want you, just think of it as meeting new people and that can take some of the pressure off. It will also help you open up and seem more friendly. Like I said, you have a lot to be confident about so BE confident about it! So what if the guy you are talking to doesn't seem that into you? You're going places and you're not going to be the only one there. If he can't see that too bad for him.





I promise you, you won't be alone forever. Someday you'll find a guy who will sweep you off your feet, but only if you hang in there. There is nothing wrong with you. I know it hurts to be alone, but your heart is priceless even if it doesn't always feel like it. Keep it for the best and every bit of loneliness and pain will be worth it when you find him. (and you will).Relationship advice for a girl with an intimidating personality?
Maybe go for someone with similar life experiances, that wouldn't feel intimidated by you? Any guy should feel honoured to be noticed by a girl like you, hang in there!





I know what its like to like someone so much older... I'm 19 and I liked someone who was 23 but I talked to one of his friends, and she told me I definately wasn't his type. Lame.





You sound like quite a catch though, I'm sure you won't be waiting long ;-)
You spend a third of your words describing your ';resume.'; Now I'm a pretty patient person, but even I couldn't be bothered to read all of that long paragraph. This information being all I know about you, I'm guessing you like to talk about yourself too much, even though you claim to be the silent type.





From the sounds of it, the last thing you need to be advertising is your achievements. Make an effort to slow your personality down. You can still do all those back-breaking things, but at least give the impression of a more relaxed person; no one wants an up-tight girlfriend.





So set your sights on some men your own age and tone down your image. You don't need to dumb yourself down, necessarily. You can still talk intelligently, just not exclusively about resume-worthy activities.





I was a student at Berkeley for all of one semester and one of the things that used to drive me up the wall about the people there is that they didn't seem to do a single extracurricular activity just for the hell of it. Anything that didn't somehow advance their careers was seen as a waste of time. I find it reassuring that you do some wacky things, like juggle, but you sound too career-oriented for me to be interested in you, romantically.





Oh, and smile every now and then, too. There was a pretty girl in my high school I knew (somewhat) all four years. She never seemed to say a damned word to anyone but her closest friends and for the longest time I thought it was because she was stuck-up. Finally, during my senior year, I learned that she was actually a really sweet girl, but how was I to know all those years, given the way she suppressed her emotions?

No comments:

Post a Comment